10 ways to cope up with difficult times
Are you going through a difficult situation? You are not alone. Covid has made life challenging for millions across the world. Along with health, it also negatively impacted finances and relationships. It increased stress levels and depression across the globe. It is a difficult time for the collective human consciousness. But staying in depression or negative states of mind for a long time is harmful to the body and mind. Hence, it is important to think of ways to cope up with such difficult times and move on. In this blog, I will share with you 10 ways to cope up. When you practice these tools, you will find the inner strength to walk through these challenging times. Let’s get started.
- Meditation: This is an ancient tool given to mankind to face life. More than the situation, it’s our thoughts and emotions about the situation that makes life challenging. So, it’s important to take care of the mind. Meditation helps in calming down the mind. It is relaxing and helps us to detach from the situation. It also helps us to think calmly about the right action we need to take to overcome the difficulty. With meditation, you can walk through the turbulent times of life.
- Exercise: A good form of exercise relaxes the mind. It gives a break to the repetitive thought patterns, boosts energy levels, and keeps us productive. A strong body is important to face the challenges of life. Exercise helps you become stronger, fitter and makes you think better. So, start exercising. Even 10 to 15 minutes of exercise per day makes a great difference to your body and mind.
- Share with a friend: Share your problems with your best friend or mentor or someone whom you trust. When we share our problems, the burden in the heart reduces, and the other person may also help us find some solution. So, don’t bottle up all the pain and hurt in your heart. Share it with your good friend.
- Have a routine: During difficult times, we lose routines and live life in chaos. Such chaotic life makes it more difficult to cope up with the difficult situation. So, have a daily routine. A routine brings stability, structure to life and gives you the strength to walk through challenges. Create a routine for your life and follow it. A routine engages you in various activities and gives you a break from negative emotions.
- Involve in creative pursuits: Creativity is therapeutic. Get yourself involved in some creative pursuit like singing or dancing, or painting. You could be a beginner. It does not matter. What matters is your involvement in the activity. Such creative pursuits bring you the joy of creation and engage your mind in something positive.
- Spend time in nature: Mother nature is healing. The vibrant colors, fresh air, flowers of nature can change your mood and refresh you. So, when you are going through difficult times, spend time in nature. It could be something as simple as spending time in a park or even going on a vacation to someplace full of nature. Nature can heal a troubled mind, broken spirit and recharge you on all levels. Mother nature is the super healer. So, take the help of this beautiful mother.
- Read positive books: Books are a wonderful source of new ideas and inspiration. So, choose a positive book and read it. Reading just 1 or 2 pages per day can also shift your mood. If reading books is not your cup of tea, you can watch positive movies or positive videos that are inspiring. Doing this will help you stay positive.
- Help others: This may look contradictory, but research shows that when we help others, we find peace and purpose. So, when you are down and going through difficult times, take time out to help others in your capacity. Each one of us is unique and has unique capabilities. So, think how you can contribute towards the happiness of others.
- Think of solutions: Instead of focusing on the problem or difficulty, think of solutions. Think how to overcome the problem. When you start thinking from the perspective of solutions, you will find a way to solve many of the problems in life. Read relevant books or watch videos that talk about the difficulty you are facing. You can also reach out to a professional who can help you find solutions for your problem.
- Acceptance: Sometimes, situations like severe sickness may not have any solution other than acceptance. When such difficulty comes, it is common to have questions and thoughts like ‘why me?’, ‘why is life so difficult?’, ‘life is unfair’. The more we dwell in these thoughts, the more difficult the situation becomes. So, accept the situation and think of ‘what next?’. Don’t be in denial or questioning mode. Acceptance heals the heart and gives strength to cope with the situation.
These are 10 ways to cope up with the difficulties in life.
Life is a mix of good and bad situations. Every person on this planet goes through good times and challenging times at some of the other phases of life. When tough times come, don’t lose hope and stagnate in negativity. Find your ways to cope up with the situation and walk the journey with inner strength. Each one of us has our own way of coping with a tough situation. It could be music, books, meditation, helping others. Find something that appeals to you and give it the best shot. Remember Buddha’s words – “this too shall pass.” Difficulties will not stay forever. Trust life and keep walking.
I wish you health and happiness!