7 tips to spend your free time
Sometimes, in life, suddenly, we find a lot of free time, like how it happened with the onset of Coronavirus. No outings and vacations. No parties and weekend plans. This led to the availability of time. Earlier, when someone suggested us to exercise or meditate, many of us had excuses like no time, but now, these excuses are no more relevant. We have all the free time in the world, and it is up to us how to use it.
What I observed from life is time can fly very fast even without doing anything productive. Just being lazy, browsing without any purpose, binge-watching videos – all these are some ways to while away the time. But the question is – will this give us satisfaction? Many of us want to achieve big things in life. We have dreams and want to be successful. We want to be disciplined. We want to be healthy. We want to enjoy life doing satisfying things. All these dreams and goals need effective utilization of time. Our dreams and goals mean nothing if we cannot give time and take the right action.
I am very careful about how I spend my time because time is more precious than money. Money, once lost, can be earned, but time, once lost, is lost forever. When our time is utilized properly, it can bring us health, money, love, success. It has the answers to all the problems and questions around. In Hinduism, time is considered as a form of divine. Time is called Kala, and Kala is one of the manifestations of Lord Siva. Such is the importance given to time in our culture.
So, how to spend such precious free time available to us? Here are 7 tips.
- Read inspiring books – There are so many wonderful books out there written by great authors. These books can give you new ideas and experiences. Books ignite our thought process and help us tap into great minds. Some of my favorite books are
- Wellness Sense by Om Swami
- Hidden messages of water by Dr.Masaru Emoto
- Ikigai by Hector Gracia
- Conversations with God by Neale Donald Walsch
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
- Plan your life – When we are busy with the daily happenings of life, we rarely find time to sit and plan our life unless we are very good at time management. But now that free time is available to us, it is a precious opportunity to plan our life. Think about what you want to achieve in the next 6 months, 1 year, 5 years and 10 years. Be clear about your goals. Also, take time to think about why these goals are important to you and how you are going to achieve them. This planning will help you understand what your priorities in life are.
- Learn Meditation – Meditation is a great tool. It gives you the ability to handle your stress, find the peace within, see life from a new perspective. There are many benefits of meditation, like enhanced creativity, better relationships, improved self-confidence. So, use this free time to learn this powerful tool and practice it. Meditation can become your lifelong buddy.
- Declutter your home – Many times, we have piles of clothes inside wardrobes due to hurry. Use this free time to neatly organize your clothes and belongings in the home. Declutter your kitchen, bedrooms, and all the areas of your home. Enjoy the process. Don’t be in a hurry. Once you declutter your home, you feel so relaxed and peaceful. Your home feels like heaven to you.Also, there is a huge connection between physical clutter and your mind. If there is clutter in your mind with too many thoughts running, clutter accumulates in the physical place around you. So, when you declutter your physical space, the clutter from your mind is also removed, and you feel better. That’s why decluttering is therapeutic.
- Pursue your hobbies – Many of us give up our hobbies after a certain age because we become busy with life. But pursuing our hobbies keeps us happy and young at heart. It brings a spark and magic in life. So, pursue your hobbies. Forget time and space by getting absorbed into your hobby.
- Spend time with your family – Use this time to know and understand your family members better. Do together some activities like cooking, painting, dancing, etc. Activities help you bond better. Cherish these times, and enjoy the beautiful moments with your family members.
- Build healthy habits – It takes consistency and persistence to build a new habit. So, pick up any healthy habit like exercising or sleeping on time or waking up early, watching Sunrise etc., and work on it.You will feel so proud of yourself when you build a healthy habit. It boosts your confidence and improves the quality of your life.
These are some tips to effectively spend your free time. If we think deeply, there is nothing like free time in life. The time we are calling as free time is our time. This time serves as our breathing space, and having such space in life is wonderful because it gives us time to relax and rejuvenate. Such time helps us to recharge our body, mind, and spirit. When we are relaxed and rejuvenated, any activity we undertake becomes productive. We will be able to give our best to our job, health, family, and enjoy life.
When you are relaxed, you become more attuned to the divine forces around you. You will be able to think through a problem and find the solution. You will be able to spot the right opportunities and the right people. Your life becomes effortless, and your dreams come true. So, taking time to relax is important.
On a spiritual note, the divine always sends blessings and supports us, but the ability to receive these blessings depends on us. If water is poured on a rock, rock cannot absorb any amount of water. But when the same water is poured on a sponge, the sponge absorbs and assimilates the water. If we are rigid like a stone, blessings cannot reach us. But if we learn to be in our natural state of joy and relaxation, blessings enter into us and transform our life. Using free time to be joyful and relaxed is very important for a happy and peaceful life.
So, utilize this free time carefully and recharge yourself. Wishing you health and peace!