Mindfulness practice in daily life
Many of us want to meditate but we think meditation needs a separate time and it’s a huge process. So, we postpone meditation thinking there is no time. Days, months, and years pass but our meditation practice does not start. Can you start meditation right away after reading this article? Yes. You can. It’s that simple. Meditation can be practiced even when you are super busy and the good news is it does not need any separate time. The simplest form of meditation that you can start right away is – mindfulness.
More about mindfulness:
Mindfulness is a Buddhist practice that can be practiced anywhere and anytime. It is a simple practice that can be done while looking after your child, completing your office work or even while you cook. I practice various types of meditation and mindfulness through the day as it helps me stay in the present moment. Mindfulness helps me make the most out of the moment and calms down my thoughts and emotions. It helps me be aware of my actions, words, thoughts, and emotions.
This is how I practice mindfulness in a busy day:
Here’s how I practice mindfulness exercises on a busy day.
Its 8:00 AM of a working day and it’s a peak time. I hurriedly started eating my breakfast; thinking about the different meetings scheduled in the day, my work, and wondered if I can complete everything I planned. I did not take notice of the breakfast on the plate, and I ate mechanically, planning my day. In the middle of this fast-paced thinking, I realized my state of mind and thought to myself that, I was in the future and not in the present moment. The realization that brought me to the present state was that I was not practicing mindfulness activity and in that mere second I got back to the present time.
I then took a deep breath and relaxed myself from the hurry. It’s not like I have to catch a train or anything. For no reason, my mind was anxious and creating a rush. I noticed this rush and brought myself to the present moment.
Then, I started eating my breakfast by being mindful instead of getting hurried. I started chewing my food properly, feeling the texture, enjoying the aroma, sensing the taste. As I ate with mindfulness practice, I noticed how colorful my breakfast plate is. It has different shades of mother nature –vibrant orange, soothing green, bright yellow. I smiled, thinking about mother nature’s beautiful creation, and continued eating.
Immense gratitude filled me. I felt thankful to God and to all the people involved in bringing this to my table. I felt refreshed in just a few minutes of eating. And the best part is that every bite of my breakfast, which I ate by being mindful, felt super delicious. This experience reiterated the importance of mindfulness in making everyday life beautiful.
How mindfulness helps us:
I was eating the same breakfast earlier too but there is a huge difference when I ate it with a positive state of mind. Mindfulness practice helped me enjoy my moment and the breakfast. I could appreciate the breakfast and feel gratitude. This changed my whole mood and helped me start my day with happiness and gratitude. This is how mindfulness activities empower us. Life is a series of moments and we forget to enjoy these moments. By being mindful you cherish each moment and savor it.
There are so many amazing things, experiences and people in our life. But these can be fully appreciated by us only when we start becoming mindful about them. We live truly only when we live in the present moment. The present moment is all we have. That should be our focus. Otherwise, it is us just existing.
Some ideas to practice mindfulness
- Eat your food with mindfulness practice: When you are eating your favorite food, try eating with mindfulness. Notice different colors of food, feel the texture, and chew every bite consciously. Relish and savor your food.
- Walk with mindfulness exercise: When you are walking, be mindful of your steps and the way your feet touch the floor.
- Talk by being mindful: Be mindful while you are talking to others and in your conversations. This changes the quality of your interactions.
- Be mindful when angry: When we angry, we lose control of ourselves and end up saying words or doing actions which we regret later. This can be avoided by adding mindfulness. When you are angry, just be mindful of your anger. Observe your emotions and the way you are feeling. Funnily, this helps in reducing your anger and it calms you down.
- Practice mindfulness on Social Media: When you are on Social Media, be mindful of how posts are impacting and influencing you. Also, be mindful of the time you are spending. When you are mindful, you cannot waste much time on unnecessary stuff.
- Work with a positive state of mind: When you are doing your office work, notice how you are working and your working style. By doing this, you become much more productive and you can identify your areas of improvement.
These are some ways to incorporate mindfulness in busy daily life. Once you start your journey of mindfulness, you will find many more ways to incorporate this beautiful practice in your life. As we practice more and more, we realize that every moment of life can be lived with mindfulness. Mindfulness is a form of self-love where you enjoy being yourself. It is your natural state.
Wish you love and peace!
These are some ways to incorporate mindfulness exercises in our busy daily life. Once you start your journey of mindfulness, you will find many more ways to incorporate this beautiful practice in your life. As we practice more and more, we realize that every moment of life can be lived better by just being mindful. Practicing mindfulness is a form of self-love where you enjoy being yourself. It is your natural state.
Wish you love and peace!