Do Affirmations work?
Affirmations – Do they work?
Usage of affirmations to improve one’s life is a popular concept which we come across in many self-help books.Affirmations are used for health, prosperity, weight loss, success, and so on. But do they really work? This is a question some of us may have about affirmations. I have been working with affirmations for years, and they are part of my daily life. Today, I will introduce you to affirmations and my own learnings on this topic.
What are affirmations: I was introduced to the concept of affirmations some 30 years back through Louise Hay’s book – You can heal your life. Affirmations are nothing but positive statements which we need to repeat every day. These positive statements are used to transform our lives. For example, if your goal is weight loss, you can say an affirmation like – I have a great body
My journey with affirmations:I was amazed to learn that our reality changes when we tell ourselves positive statements. This concept fascinated me greatly, and I experimented with it to see if it really works or not. I created affirmations like – I am successful, I am enough for me, I am beautiful, and so on. I religiously chanted these affirmations every day and wrote them in my journal too. I pasted these affirmations in places that I often see.I surrounded myself with a lot of positive affirmations.
What happened? They worked well in the initial stages and gave me good results, but as I continued my journey, I did not see any results coming from affirmations. I was frustrated as to why my affirmations stopped working. I had no clue. I wondered if affirmations really worked, or it is just a coincidence. Many self-help and spiritual books I read talked about affirmations and how they transform our lives. I did not want to give up on affirmations too quickly without trying my best. So, I stuck to affirmations and explored further. I did my own study and experimentation to make affirmations work.
My learnings:In this journey of experimentation and learning about affirmations, I discovered quite a few interesting things. Below are some of my learnings about affirmations.
- Mere repetition of affirmations, which is mechanical, will not bring any results. Many times, we think if we repeat the affirmation 100 times in a day, we get the result. I, too, thought the same and repeated affirmations many times in a day. But this is not how affirmations work.
- Affirmations work best when we use our senses. This is a great secret about affirmations.For example, if your affirmation is – I have a great body, you should use your senses to visualize it. Your visualization can include the below components.
- Sight –Visualize your great body.
- Sound – Visualize listening to others, complimenting you about your perfect weight.
- Touch – Visualize your favorite dresses touching your body.You are wearing these dresses because you are at the perfect weight. Feel your perfect weight in your body.
In this way, when you use your senses to visualize your end result along with affirmation, your affirmation brings the results you want.Affirmations and visualization should go together.
- Another great hack I learned about affirmations is affirmations work best when we add prayer and take divine guidance. Many of us underestimate the power of prayer. When a prayer is used to ask for divine guidance and help, such prayer is always answered by the divine. So, add prayer to your affirmation. When we add prayer, we are guided in the right direction, and we meet the right people at the right time.Somehow, we will find a way through mysterious coincidences. That’s the power of prayers.
- Our effort should not just limit to saying or writing affirmations. We should also take action when the right opportunities come our way.
These are some learnings I gained about affirmations.
Many famous personalities across the world used affirmations and visualizations to transform their life. These things do work. It’s not an impractical or unrealistic approach to goals. So, why do affirmations work? Is there any logic? Yes. There is.
Why affirmations work:Many things keep happening around us, and our brain cannot process everything. Our brain filters only that information which is important to us and gives it to us. In order to do this filtering job, the brain has an organ called the Reticular Activating System (RAS). When we say affirmations and visualize, our RAS understands that it is an important aspect of our life and brings all the information related to it. That’s why when you want to buy a red car, you keep noticing many red cars around. So, when we keep repeating affirmations along with visualization, our mind is focussed on that area and spots the right opportunities. This is how affirmations work.
What next? Identify the important areas of your life which matter to you and create affirmations that resonate with you. Your mind should not oppose your affirmations. For example, if someone’s weight is 100 Kgs and this person keeps an affirmation as ‘My weight is 55 Kgs’, the mind will resist it saying – you are lying. Instead of this, it would be helpful to have an affirmation like – I have a great body.
So, create your affirmations and dedicate a time to practice visualization along with affirmations. This practice will help you achieve your goals faster. It’s worth taking that time to practice affirmations and visualizations every day.
Wish you good luck!