Are you going through stress and looking for ways to minimize it? Then, this blog is for you. Stress has become a part of life, no matter what our profession is. Modern life has become hectic and stressful with so many things to do. It’s ok to go through stress once in a while, but if it happens continuously for years, it causes lifestyle diseases, relationships breakdown, anxiety, and insomnia. So, it is important to reduce stress. In this blog, I am going to share with you 8 tools that can help you come out of stress. When you practice these tools, your stress will reduce, and your life will become more balanced. So, Let’s get started.
Effects of stress
We experience stress in thoughts and emotions, and many of us think the effects of stress are only psychological. However, research says the effects of stress are seen in the physical body too due to the “flight or fight” mechanism. When a person goes through stress, the body’s “sympathetic nervous system” activates “flight or fight” mode to enable the person to either run away from the situation(flight) or fight with the situation. When this mode is activated, the physical body goes through the below changes.
- Heart rate is increased.
- Blood pressure goes up.
- Breathing becomes rapid and shallow.
- The entire body becomes alert.
- Systems like digestion and the immune system are temporarily shut down to allow more energy for fight or flight.
- Energy is pumped up in hands and legs to fight or run away.
Flight or fight mechanism is a gift given by nature to help humans survive difficult situations in life, like an attack by an animal. It enabled the ancient man to protect himself. Little stress is ok in life. Problems are seen when stress becomes chronic and frequent. When the flight or fight mechanism happens several times in a day and continues happening for several years because of stress, it results in the below issues.
- High BP
- Poor digestion
- Weakened immune system
- Heart attack
- Fertility issues
- Missed periods
- Muscle related issues
Chronic stress impacts not only physical health but also causes other issues like below.
- Loss of productivity in work
- Inability to handle problems in life
- Relationship breakdown
- Constant fatigue in life
- Low self-esteem
These are some of the effects of stress. Occasional stress is not a major cause of concern but going through stress frequently in a day for years together is not healthy. Hence, it is important to address stress.
8 Tips for a stress-free life
Here are 8 tips that help you handle stress and eventually have a stress-free life.
- Meditate: Meditation is an excellent tool that builds the emotional and mental strength required to handle challenges in life without going through stress. It brings you peace of mind and inner strength to handle life’s situations. It also helps in de-stressing. So prioritize and make at least a few minutes of meditation a part of your life.
- Exercise: Regular exercise helps in releasing the toxins accumulated in the body due to stress, and it relaxes the body and mind. It makes you fit and stress-free. You can do any form of exercise like swimming, kickboxing, running, playing a sport, etc.
- Practice Yoga: Yoga is an amazing tool that works both on your body and mind. It helps in stress -relief and builds your capacity to handle more in life. It also brings better health and inner calmness.
- Laugh: Laughing not only gives you joy but also relieves stress. So, laugh out loud every day. Watch your favorite comedy shows or movies and use every opportunity to laugh. Make laughter an important aspect of your life.
- Spend time in nature: Nature heals your body and mind. Spending a few minutes of time in nature on a regular basis will rejuvenate you. At least once a week, enjoy those trees, sunrise, sunset, cool breeze.
- Do activities that bring you joy: Modern life is fast-paced, and it is easy to overlook joy. So, occasionally, take a break and do those activities which you enjoy. Take time to enjoy your life. Indulge in little joys and feel the joy of living.
- Get enough rest: Give a sufficient amount of rest to your body and mind. Sleep well every day. When you rest well, the body gets an opportunity to release the toxins generated due to stress. When you don’t get good quality sleep, you feel stressed out and restless. So, get enough rest on a daily basis.
- Eat well: A well-balanced diet keeps your body and mind fit enough to handle different situations in life. Plan your diet well and follow the plan. Add more vegetables to your diet. Avoid junk foods and processed foods.
These are some tips to keep stress at bay.
Whether you meditate or do yoga or exercise, enjoy the process. Be present in the moment. This makes a great difference to the quality of your life. Choose healthy ways to de-stress yourself on a regular basis and build your inner strength. Eat well, take a sufficient amount of rest, connect with nature and laugh crazily. These lifestyle changes will help you in handling stress effectively. Life is short, and it’s not worth living under constant stress. So, make these changes and start living a stress-free life.
Wish you the best!