Are you wondering about creating a routine for hair care? I say it’s a great idea. Just like anything else in life, our hair, too, needs proper care. Haircare is not a one-time effort. It needs to be done periodically. In the current times, regular hair care is very important due to the high pollution levels, toxic chemicals, and stress. So, I do certain things regularly to take care of my hair. Today, in this blog, I am going to share with you my hair care routine. Let’s get started.
Before I share my hair care routine, let’s go through some haircare fundamentals. These fundamentals hold good for everyone irrespective of gender, age, time, place. They are timeless.
3 hair care fundamentals:
- Use only organic products: Products containing harmful chemicals like Sulphates and Parabens are bad for hair and health. So, avoid them. Before buying any product, go through the ingredient list and choose only those products that are free from toxic chemicals. Choose organic products. With organic products, you can be sure that they are free of toxic chemicals. And when it comes to oils, go for only cold-pressed oils. Refined oils contain a lot of toxic chemicals.
- Take care of external and internal factors: Haircare is not just about oils and shampoos. It also involves nutrition and lifestyle factors. Both external and internal factors play an important role in keeping our hair healthy. Below are some pointers in this direction.
- Use organic products.
- Avoid frequent washing of hair.
- Avoid frequent hair styling, blow-dry, and hair coloring.
- Apply homemade hair masks.
- Maintain proper hygiene
- Get good quality sleep of 8 hours.
- Drink a sufficient amount of water.
- Eat nutritious food.
- Avoid deep-fried, processed, junk foods.
- Take care of vitamin levels.
- Minimize daily stress through yoga or meditation.
These are some factors that impact your hair. A holistic approach to life is the key to healthy hair.
- Keep it simple: When it comes to hair, the less we meddle with hair, the better it is. Frequent combing and brushing, applying hair colors, trying fancy products, and complicated hairstyles – these will impact hair negatively. So, keep it simple when it comes to hair.
Now that we understand the haircare fundamentals, here is my hair care routine.
My hair care routine:
- I wash my hair 3 times a week. This is the right frequency for my type of hair.
- Every time I wash my hair, I make sure I get an oil massage for 20 mins before hair wash. I use either cold-pressed coconut or sesame oil for head massage. I warm the oil and use it. This massage with warm oil softens the hair and prevents fizziness and dryness. It retains the moisture in the hair. Also, this head massage is de-stressing and relaxing. So, I never miss the head massage before washing my hair.
- I use only organic products for hair because hair once damaged, it’s really difficult to reverse the damage. I don’t even know if reversing can happen. So, I tend to be super careful when it comes to hair care products. I go through all the ingredients of the product and make sure that it is safe and organic before trying it on my hair.
- I love to use soapnuts for washing my hair. They are very good for hair and are natural. My grandmother urged us to use only soapnuts for hair. But when it’s practically difficult to use them, I use forest essentials shampoo. This is a pretty good shampoo that is free from harsh chemicals. It goes well with my hair.
- I don’t use any conditioner. I use 2 to 3 drops of argan oil when my hair is semi-damp. This works as serum.
- I generally don’t use a hairdryer or any styling products. These can easily damage the hair. Only when I have some shoot, I use dryer and styling products to a minimum extent.
- After washing the hair, I do gentle towel drying and leave it to dry.
- As far as possible, I use a good organic hair cream.
- I try my best not to pull and tug my hair. I strongly believe that the less we meddle with our hair (like pulling, combing too much, styling, braiding), the better it is.
- As much as possible, I avoid applying heat on my hair since the application of heat for hair styling can lead to hair damage.
This is my external hair care routine.
Coming to the internal hair care routine, I make sure I eat nutritious food. Nutrition plays an important role in the quantity and quality of hair. I eat meals well balanced in carbohydrates, proteins, and fats and ensure that my body gets the nutrients it needs. I take care of my vitamins. I also de-stress myself regularly through meditation and get a good quality sleep every day. All these factors help me to take care of my hair on a regular basis.
In a nutshell, my hair care routine is simple. It consists of leading a healthy lifestyle, using toxic-free hair products, and regular head massage with warm oil. I like to keep it simple when it comes to hair. I found this approach to be the best approach for hair care. It feels great to have thick, luscious hair. Nothing like it! However, it needs a disciplined approach and regular care. Even a simple step like warm oil massage for hair before hair wash, when done consistently, makes a great difference to the hair. The key is consistent care.
Wish you beautiful and lovely hair!